Mold Removal – How to Safely Remove Mold From Walls
Mold can wreak havoc on walls and cause damage to the building materials it grows on. It can also irritate the respiratory system of people in the building and cause other health problems. Therefore, any mold growth should be removed as soon as it is noticed. This is why many restoration companies offer a service called “Mold Removal”.
In order for mold to thrive it needs access to a constant source of moisture. This can be in the form of a leaky pipe, condensation from our everyday activities such as cooking, bathing and drying clothes indoors, or even just lack of ventilation. Any wall that is exposed to these conditions will eventually start to grow mold. The best way to stop this is to remove the moisture source by repairing any water damage and sealing the walls.
Once the mold has been removed from the walls Mold Removal, it is important to clean and disinfect the area. This will help to ensure that the mold spores are not dispersed into the air where they could potentially re-infest the home or office. The cleaning process usually involves misting the affected areas to control spore spread, cleaning and disposal of all wet or moldy material, scrubbing and spraying of unmovable structure elements, and cleaning and disinfection of all surfaces. It is always recommended that a professional is used for this type of work.
When it comes to removing mold from walls, the safest option is often a bleach solution. A ratio of one part bleach to three parts water can be sprayed onto the affected surface. The bleach should be allowed to sit for a few minutes before being scrubbed into the wall. This should be done in a well-ventilated area and caution should be taken as bleach can damage some types of paint and wallpaper. It is also recommended that the use of a fan be kept running during this process to increase ventilation.
Another great option is a natural solution of tea tree oil and vinegar. This is a safe and non-toxic alternative to bleach and can be applied directly to the wall. It should be diluted with water first before applying and it is always best to test in an inconspicuous area first as the tea tree oil can irritate some skin types.
If you are not comfortable working with chemical solutions, a good option is a dry scrub brush and a mixture of equal parts water and borax. This can be sprayed on the surface of the wall and brushed with a soft-bristled brush to loosen and remove the mold. Again, it is important to wear protective gloves and goggles and to work in a well-ventilated area. A good box fan can be used to circulate the air and keep the spores from blowing back in during the cleaning process. All wet or moldy materials should be placed in plastic bags and double-bagged for disposal to reduce the risk of spores being released into the air.